When you need to check your current location or you are using a map app to find some place, then you probably think about how useful the location tracking is. However, most of the apps and services that track your location can continue and track almost every single move and thus put jeopardy onto your privacy. And even if we do not take the privacy issue into consideration, when an app is tracking down your location it also affects your battery life and affects its endurance. If you are interested about finding out how to prevent companies to track you, in this short guide we will provide you with the necessary tips on how to disable the location tracking on your device when you do not need it.
How to Install Google Location Track App
It may sound strange but Google tracks your location history automatically and by default gathers this data by your usage of Google Maps. Still, it is feasible to disable this and on top of that you can even manually delete certain places from your location history. Here is how to do it:
- Open the Google Settings page
- Press on the Pause button under “Places you have been” which is on the right. You can choose to remove individual entries from location history too, by clicking Manage history.
- Just pick any data from the calendar on the left and press Delete all history, and the entire tracking history from the selected date onwards will be deleted.
Install Location Tracker on Android
Disabling the location tracking on Android phone is quite simple, but this can also have negative effect on some services. For instance, Google Now relies on your location data to give you useful information that you need even without searching for it. However, if you think that you are better off not sharing your location with Google, then these tips are for you:
- Go to Settings-Scroll to Location Google Location Settings
- Swipe Location Reporting to Off
- Navigate back, press Location History to turn it to Off. You can also press on the “Delete Location History” if you want to delete all data.
How to install Google IP Tracker on iOS
In iOS devices there are couple apps and services that use your location to provide you with info and suggestions about apps which are popular in your local area and even to spam you with adds based on the place where you at. If you wish to disable it follow these tips:
- Go to Settings-Privacy-Location Services
- From here you can turn Location Services to on/off. If you set it to off, the tracking will be entirely disabled, however once you do this, you will have to manually do things, like for instance search for weather data.
- Go to the bottom and you will see which apps have access to your location. From here you can choose which apps do not need it and disable the location tracking for those apps. If the feature Find my iPhone/iPad is enabled then it is recommended that you do not disable location tracking because without it you will not be able to trace your device in case you lose it.
- Now scroll to the bottom and press on System Services. From here you can turn off all options except Cell Network search to stop tracking. Press on Frequent Locations and disable this as well
How to Install on Windows 8
To disable location tracking on Windows 8 is really easy. Here is how to do it:
- Press simultaneously Windows Key+CàPress SearchàAnd write PC Settings in the search baràAfter that click on PC settings
- Head over to PrivacyàLocationàLet Windows and apps use my Locationàand set it to Off
It is also simple to disable location tracking on Blackberry 10. Follow these instructions:
- Navigate to Settings-go down to Location Services-And turn off Traffic Data Collection and Location based ads. You can also disable Location Services completely from here.
- If you only want to disable location access by specific apps, then head over to Settings-App Manager-and press “Go to the Application Permissions screen to change permissions for individual apps”.
- After this just press on Permissions – Select Location and press on any app that you want to prevent from using your location and Tap Off.
By doing this you can disable location tracking on any device. If you know about any other method to disable location tracking then feel free to share it with us in the comment section.
You can also disable the location tracking on a desktop or laptop Web browser. Remember that some website may still track and identify your location thru your IP address; however it will be quite difficult to find the place you are browsing from.
Also see if you need how to block website on PC or Cell Phone.
- Open Google Chrome Menu and select Settings
- Go to the bottom and press Click on Show Advanced SettingsàContent Settings. When the pop-up shows, scroll to the bottom until you see Location Section. From here select “Do not allow any site to track your physical location”.
- In the Mozilla Address bar enter about:config and press “Enter” and then click “I’ll be careful, I promise “
- Search for I’ll be careful; I promise and press twice on it to change its value from “true” to “false”. In this way you will disable location sharing on Mozilla.
- Open Opera Settings by pressing the opera button in the top left corner. You can also press Alt+P to access it with the keyboard shortcut.
- On the left sidebar press on Websites-go down to Location-Choose DO not allow any site to track my physical location.
- Launch Safari and open Preferences. Select Privacy.
- Press Deny without prompting. Now you have disabled location tracking.
Internet Explorer Instructions
- Head over to ToolsàInternet Options. Alternatively you can press Alt+X
- Select Privacy and mark “Never Allow websites to use your physical location”.
How to Install Google Tracker on Windows Phone
On Windows Phone you cannot simply disable specific background tracking without disabling location services. Here is what you can do if you don’t want to turn off location services.
- Navigate to Settings and Swipe right to choose Applications
- Open each app manually and disable the location if there is such option
- Swipe left to go back to SystemàWi-FiàAdvancedàUncheck Send information about Wi-Fi connection to help discover nearby Wi-Fi
- Go back again to System—Feedback—Off. You can also head over to Settings—Find my Phone—and set it to off. However, remember that this anti-theft feature is quite useful in case your device gets stolen or lost and you may reconsider if you really want to disable it.
- For more deep option, go to Settings –Location and set it to Off.
With these instructions you can disable the location tracking on any device. If you know other methods to disable the location tracking then please let us know in the comment section.